My flesh & heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever!


Saturday, February 25, 2006

Eye opener!!

“Retractor… Gauze”

“Beep… Beep… Beep…”

“Wash… Suction…”

Those are the sounds you will hear when you are in the operation theatre (OT). For the past few days I’ve been posted to the Breast & Endocrine Department of Surgery in General Hospital KL. It was an awesome experience. Following doctors and hearing them attending patients and discussing cases among one another, really opened a new door into my life as a medical student. And you know you have that kind of thinking that government doctors being lousy, crappy, non-caring, just wanna clear off their patients… Well, the doctors that I tagged along aren’t like that at all. They are very nice and patient to their patients.

One of the housemen was kind enough to show me the proper way of examining a woman’s breast and allow me to “practice” (so to speak) on some of the patients. I got a chance to palpate a lumpy breast, which was kinda cool. The doctor explained and taught me a lot. As for the other doctors you may wonder, they totally ignore you. One thing I’ve learned, you must be super thick skin and ask them whatever that comes in your mind and follow them wherever they go. Even when they hinted that they want you to go away, you just act stupid and stick to them. This is how I’ve survived for the past few days with them. Whatever they say, pretend you didn’t get them and you have to swallow your pride when they said something unpleasant to you.

Hang out in the OT most of the time, checking their charts on which OT has interesting cases going on. Then we will just walk in & stand at the side & observe whatever the surgeons were doing. One of the surgeons from UPM was kind enough to guide us through the operation. I think I’ll just look for him whenever he has a surgery going on next week. Managed to see cases like mastectomy, herniotomy, gastro-jejunotomy, laparoscopic gastric carcinoma, laparoscopic cholecystectomy, rectal adenocarcinoma, total thyroidectomy, and fistula in anal operation. It was darn interesting to be able to see the anatomy “live” since IMU doesn’t provide us with any post-mortems, dissections and stuff. Only plain models which are so “helpful”.

Watching Grey’s Anatomy & being attached to a surgical department really draw my interest to become a surgeon one day. It is more exciting than being a consultant or normal physician. And you don’t have to wear formal clothes & shoes with tie. Just the normal blue surgical attire which is so comfortable. J One thing bad about this is, you have stand for hours. At the end of the day, you can barely feel your legs. Have one week to go. Hope there will be more actions going on in GHKL!!!

No comments: