My flesh & heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever!


Sunday, June 11, 2006

A NEW LIFE!

NOV 2005- During church camp


There was a water baptism session during the camp. I really wanna be baptised, but at the same time I wanted my parents consent before committing into it, cause I really wanna honour them.

Me:- (calling my parents) Hello, can I be baptised today?
Dad:- No, don't do that now. Just go and have fun. Do it some time later.
Me:- But why? ...... (Me explaining & reasoning to my dad)

At the end of the conversation, I still didn't manage to get him to approach.


End of May 2006 - While having breakfast with my parents


Been praying about this since church camp. So recently, when i found out that we're gonna have another water baptism session on this date, I took up the courage to ask my parents again. Before asking, I was asking God to help me make them understand, let them realise how important it is to me.

Me:- I've something I wanna ask you all.
Parents:- What is it?
Me:- My church is gonna have another session for those who wish to be baptised. Can I too?
Parents:- I knew it!!! Knew what you wanna ask when you start asking like that way (I was like erm.... in a "where got?" facial expression). No, don't do it now. Wait til you graduate.
Me:- Why? It's important that I do it now. I know I am ready. Really wanna be baptised here, in this spiritual family. Here is where I came to know Christ & here is where I grow. Plus, I am really connected with this spiritual family. It is my last chance this time. I'm gonna leave next year. I really don't wanna miss this opportunity.
Parents:- Didn't we said you can only do it once you graduate. Maybe you will have a different exposure when you go oversea. Maybe over there, they do it differently. It is good to wait.
Me:- It's not gonna change anything if I wait til I graduate. I've already accepted Christ. There's no way I will turn back. Plus, water baptism is done the same way everywhere. The significance is the same.
Parents:- If that's the case, go do it & don't let me know if you wanna do it so much. Since you converted without discussing with us anyway.
Me:- I really want to, but don't you understand, I want your consent. I want you to understand why it is important for me. If I wanna do as you have just said, I could have done it during church camp. But I didn't. I really wanna honour you. That's what the Bible says.

Conversation just ends there. With the same answer. Was kinda disappointed at first. I began asking God, why? Is it not time yet for me? Prayers still continue. It's too early for any changes yet. Believe He is gonna make a twist when the date starts to draw closer. After breakfast, I drove to uni.


This week while having breakfast with my dad
(As you begin to notice, most of the conversation takes place during a meal, over breakfast time especially. This is because it is the start of the day, where all the mood & energy level are still at the optimum level. & that is the time where I get to talk cause there are no distractions for my parents. So, I could get full attention from them)


Dad:- (While I was busy eating my beef noodles, yummy!!!) So, when's your water baptism thing?
Me:- This sunday. Why?
Dad:- If you think you are ready, go ahead.
Me:- (Me, in my usual shocking look( if I have any) ) Er, are you sure? What made you change your mind? I don't want you to say it because you saw me feeling upset and so on. I want you to get it.
Dad:- If you said you are ready, go get baptised. You're gonna do it sooner or later anyway.
Me:- Thanks alot. It means a lot to me.

I was so happy at that news. Really thank God for such a great miracle. If you know my dad well, he is a person with a very strong opinion on himself, especially in terms of Christianity, worse when I began to accept Christ. It definitely take a DEVINE CHANGE for him to make such a decision. After breakfast, I took off to uni, singing songs of praises! God did answer my persistent prayer! Quickly messaged Shawn.

Today, IT IS DONE. Chris came along with me saying he wanna witness one of my life's millstones. 18 of us got baptised. Was a great moment for me. PRAISE YOU LORD!

No comments: